Saturday, October 4, 2008

Temple in Rome, Italy

I hope you heard the in Church Conference that five (5) new temples were announced today. The last one, accompanied with lots to chuckles was announced for: Rome, Italy.
Gollie I bet there is lots of excitement today in Rome. For the last 35+ years the members of the church in Italy have always had to make the trek to Switzerland to participate in Temple Ordinances. Getting married in a civil ceremony then going off to the train station, not a reception, and making the long journey to the temple with as many family members and friends as could make the journey has been a part of life in Italy since the gospel was re-introduced for the second time in this dispensation in 1970.

I did note that the saints in France, specifically Paris where our family has had the opportunity to live in the past have yet to be blessed with a Temple in their country. I pray with them for the opportunity in the future to have a Temple there in their own land. I know well the journey from Paris to the "Frankfurt Temple." (The Temple isn't in Frankfurt, but about an hour north.)

So now the Church will be building a Temple in Rome. I hope they researched the site very well. It is hard to dig in that area and not run into ancient ruins and artifacts only inches below the surface of the ground. I, however join with the Saints in Italy in rejoicing the announcement of a temple in Italy.